"What could be the problem in letting eager caretakers use technology to create the children they so desperately want? In this illuminating talk, Alana Newman uses her first person experience as the daughter of an anonymous sperm donor, as well as her years of experience as a fertility industry watch dog to speak on why there is an infertility epidemic, why we should be worried about the use of profiteering from third party reproduction, and why we should reconsider the meaning of “wanted” child." from http://www.loveandfidelity.org/resources/the-emperors-new-kids-a-first-hand-account-of-third-party-reproduction/Points that struck me
- "because this is a buisness now, anybody who has the money can have a kid because donor conception is really a euphemism for buying and selling kids"
- designer babies.. want just boys? you do this by "creating a bunch of embryos and search for and destroy the female embryos"
- "the only thing they know about their genetic mother and their birth mother, is that she accepted money in order to abandon them"
- " so we use terms like donation, but their lies what the donors are doing is they're accepting money to promise they'll have nothing to do with the child"
- Consider the wanted child. (As a product of donor conception myself, this "wanted" word just rubs salt in the wound.) Below pictures are Peter Troung and Mark Newton a California couple who hired a Russian surrogate for $8,000.00 to start their family. Days after he was born they started sexually abusing, created distributed child pornography, traveled the world prostituting their son to a pedophile network. What Newton had to say when he and his partner were sentenced to 40 years in prison "being a father was an honor and a privilege that amounted to the best six years of my life". (This couple desperately wanted their child.)
- The FDA has NOT approved the use of Lupron for fertility use. There are strong associations with cancers for the horomones that the surrogates and egg donors are taking. (Due to the fact that there have been no long term studies on this prospective donors and surrogates aren't informed when making their decision. To learn more about this There is a documentary called "Eggsploitation" that goes into more detail to see some trailers for this documentary or to order to view go to http://www.eggsploitation.com/)
- What differentiates human trafficking from 3rd party donor conception is simply a case of when the paperwork is signed. If all contracts are signed prior to the child being conceived. Then it's ok. If the contracts are signed during the pregnancy that by law is considered baby selling. Highlighted by an attorney who used to be a surrogacy attorney Theresa Erickson. To learn more about this you can go to http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Theresa-Erickson-Surrogacy-Abuse-Selling-Babies-140942313.html
*** As a product of surrogacy to me it doesn't matter when the paperwork was signed whether I was in the womb yet or not. Consider that in a traditional adoption the mother can sign the agreements while pregnant and have a small bit of time to change her mind after the child is born. ** When you buy the egg or the sperm you're not purchasing it for that! You're purchasing the child. Human beings Should Not be for sale
- "What happens when children become commodities? We see identity loss, disenfranchised grief"
- The idea of we need to know where we come from (why is ancestry so important to us?)
- A letter to mental health journal by E Wellisch "...knowledge of and definite relationship to his genealogy is necessary for a child to build up his complete body image and world picture. It's an inalienable and entitled right of every person. There's an urge a call in everybody to follow and fulfill the tradition of the family, race, religion and community into which he was born" reason behind the letter was deprivation of this could develop into a stunting of emotional development.
- If it's ok to sell your genetic material why isn't it ok to sell your organs? In organ donation it is believed if there were monetary compensation that people would be influenced to risk their health. Egg donation?? Surrogacy?? There is a risk to health there!!
- Important to know your medical! Many egg donor agencies don't keep long term records if there is something the donor's child should know she has no way of letting them know later down the road.